Si Shen Soup (Four Divinity Soup) for spleen and adrenal support
This Soup is known as She Chen Tang (四臣汤) four minister soup which invented by a monk in Southern China, to treat four ministers who falling ill from long haul travel during the inspecting trip at Southern China with Emperor Qian Long. The soup is then being popularized in Taiwan and misread as Si Shen Tang (四神汤) four divinity soup due to the same pronunciation in Taiwan dialect.
According to Chinese Medicine principles, this soup contains four Chinese Medicine herbs which often used as food therapy to strengthen the spleen function and digestive system. It is the great herbal soup for people with poor digestion, irritable bowel syndrome with alternating diarrhea and constipation conditions , bloating after food. Patients with water retention issues might see improvement in the condition once the transport and transformation function of the spleen is restored.
- 30 g dried Chinese yam (淮山)
- 30 g lotus seed (湘莲子) - with or without skin
- 20 g euryale seeds (芡实)
- 55 g poria (茯苓)
- 350 g pork bone (can also be replaced with chicken , for vegetarian option can replace with dried fig and dried honey date)
- 5 large dried scallops - optional
- 1.5 litre water
- Pinch of salt
1. Blanch pork bone in boiling water for about 3 minutes in a small pot. Remove and set aside.
2. Rinse all the herbs with running water to remove the impurity.
3. Soak the herbs in 30 minutes.
4. Place the herbs and dried scallops in the pot, add in water and bring to a boil.
5. Add the pork bone or its replacement into the boiling soup.
6. Turn the heat into low heat and simmer for 1.5 hour.
7. Season with salt if required and serve hot.
Lihyan (Chloe) Teh has been working in multiple professions across the health and beauty industry as pharmacist, Chinese medicine herbalist, acupuncturist, hairdresser, makeup artist and beauty adviser. Lihyan is passionate in helping men and women to regain their vitality in heath and allow the beauty shine from inside out. She often works with patient with skin disorder, gynecological disorder, digestion and emotional health.Website: https://www.ziranco.com